Analyzes the benefits and disadvantages of the house counsel model as a way for public interest lawyers to support community-based economic development.
- A Moralist in a Legalist World: A Memorial Essay for Henry Schwarzschild
- The Constitutionality of Pregnancy Discrimination: The Lingering Effects of Geduldig and Suggestions for Forcing its Reversal
- Neighborhood Legal Services As House Counsel to Community-Based Efforts to Achieve Economic Justice: The East Brooklyn Experience
- Dead Man Walking without Due Process? A Discussion of the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996
- Regulating Prisons of the Future: A Psychological Analysis of Supermax and Solitary Confinement
- Book Annotations 23.4
- Maintaining Procedural Protections for Welfare Recipients: Defining Property for the Due Process Clause
- The Role of Race in Child Custody Decisions between Natural Parents over Biracial Children
In Depth Reading
Volume 23 Issue 1
Essay memorializing Henry Schwarzschild, who led the ACLU Capital Punishment Project and died on the day the death penalty in military trials was upheld.
Explores waning commitment to racial and educational equality post-Brown and considers how emotional intelligence skills show importance of equal education.
Discussion of due process violations in capital cases, specifically after passage of the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act.
Volume 23 Issue 2
Explores ways of rethinking legal education, particularly in the context of constitutional law. Focus on creating participatory classes.
Considers the reading process, particularly with complex material like law, and suggests how law professors might improve students' textual learning.
Examines strengths and weaknesses of the Socratic method and its effectiveness for achieving the pedagogic goals of law school.
Explores ongoing challenges for women in law schools: few women faculty in areas of academic award, marginalization of "women's issues," devaluation of women.
Volume 23 Issue 3
Toni Fme’s American Legal Systems is designed to introduce law students and students considering law school to American legal systems and to basic legal research and writing techniques (p. xv). The book certainly succeeds on that level, but it will
Analyzes product liability law in Europe before and after the implementation of the EU Directive on product liability law.
Explores legislative proposals to create no-fault compensation schemes, rather law strict liability, in order to increase access, development of contraceptvies.
In 1995, the Rockefeller Foundation sponsored a conference to look at public and private sector collaboration in the field of contraceptive research and development, and to make recommendations for reducing constraints and promoting this partnership. One recommendation of this conference
Volume 23 Issue 4
Reviews of Beyond All Reason: The Radical Assault on Truth in American Law by Daniel A. Farber and Suzanna Sherry (1997) and Jekyll on Trial: Multiple Personality Disorder and Criminal Law by Elyn R. Saks and Stephen H. Behnke (1997).
Analysis of social trends in custody after divorce of biracial children and the family law approach to race as a factor in judicial decision making
Review of due process and its applicability to benefits litigation. Proposed doctrinal solution in how interprets interests and property.
Indictment of supermax and solitary isolation including legal doctrine, phycological research, policy evaluations, etc.