Judges, practitioners, and law professors should collaborate to improve the justice system.
Domestic income inequality is a human rights issue, and U.S. courts should use comparative and international law to enforce these rights.
Advice to policy makers about how to educate themselves to create effecive policy regarding the criminal defense system.
Discussion of the benefits and challenges of a community based public defense system then looks at a case study. Concerns are also addressed.
A history of the US and Israeli public defense systems and a comparison between the two.
Covers the ethical issues in public defense as a result of "problem solving courts" and the rise of plea deals.
A discussion of how to transform the culture public defender offices to have a more holistic, client-centered vision.
Looks at public defense leadership in three dimensions from very specific and local to broad and global.
Public defense's public perception and ability to be effective and reduce crime in communities.
Discusses the history and background of public defense and the strategies used in advancing it's goals then presents alternative strategies.
Other Issues in this Volume
- The Subordination of Subsidized Guardianship in Child Welfare Proceedings
- Protecting the Integrity of the Court: Trial Court Responsibility for Preventing Ineffective Assistance of Counsel in Criminal Cases
- Monogamy's Law: Compulsory Monogamy and Polyamorous Existence
- Flunking the Methodology Test: A Flawed Tax-Exemption Standard for Educational Organizations That Advocate a Particular Position or Viewpoint
- You Say Defendant, I Say Combatant: Opportunistic Treatment of Terrorism Suspects Held in the United States and the Need for Due Process
- Pressing Public Necessity: The Unconstitutionality of the Absconder Apprehension Initiative
- Civil Liberties during National Emergencies: The Interactions between the Three Branches of Government in Coping with Past and Current Threats to the Nation's Security
- The Role of Courts in Time of War
- Fifty Years after Brown, the Civil Rights Ideology and Today's Movement
- The Crime Drop and the Fourth Amendment: Toward an Empirical Jurisprudence of Search and Seizure
- To Be Brown in Brazil: Education and Segregation Latin American Style
- Relearning Brown: Applying the Lessons of Brown to the Challenges of the Twenty-First Century