Discussion of the Teague v. Lane's new rule on retroactivity in criminal cases and its effect on past criminal cases.
Examination of the of the increasing time limitations on death row inmate's ability to file habease corpus petitions.
Examines parameters within which defense counsel can argue that a prosecutor's closing statement establishes grounds for reversing a death sentence.
Argues the necessity of public education and exposure of capital trials in order to educate the public regarding the injustice of the death penalty.
Examination of inadequacy of state and federal level checks on preventing factual inaccuracies resulting in wrongful executions.
Examination of if Teague and its exceptions continue to protect the innocent defendant as do the rules pertaining to abuse of the writ and procedural default.
Examination of the declining use of executive clemency in capital cases
Exploration of reasons for and possible explanations regarding the growing public support for the death penalty
Discussion regarding the inadequacy of counsel provided to defendants i capital cases.
Discussion of the scope and availability of habeas corpus defenses to capital case defendants in light of recent Supreme Court decisions.
Overview of reasons for choosing the death penalty as the subject of the colloquium.
Other Issues in this Volume
- Racism and Retrenchment in Capital Sentencing: Judicial and Congressional Haste toward the Ultimate Injustice
- Bill of Rights--Can It Survive, The
- Throwing the Book at Revelations: First Amendment Implications of Enforcing Reporters' Promises
- Affirmative Action: Unresolved Questions Amidst a Changing Judiciary
- Reclaiming the Gavel: Making Sense out of the Death Penalty Debate in State Legislatures
- Ambivalence in State Capital Punishment Policy: An Empirical Sounding
- Role and Consequences of the Death Penalty in American Politics, The
- Prosecutorial and Jury Decision-Making in Post-Furman Texas Capital Cases
- Tax Glasnost for Millionaires: Peeking behind the Veil of Ignorance along the Publicity-Privacy Continuum
- Mending the Safety Net's Safety Net: The Federal Courts Study Committee's Proposals for Reforming the Social Security Disability Benefits Review Process
- Family Like any Other Family: Alternative Methods of Defining Family in Law, A
- Woman behind the Blindfold: Toward a Feminist Reconstruction of Rawls' Theory of Justice, The