Annotations of: FACING THE DEATH PENALTY: ESSAYS ON A CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT. Edited by Michael L. Radelet. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1989; THE DEATH PENALTY: A WORLD-WIDE PERSPECTIVE: A REPORT TO THE UNITED NATIONS COMMITTEE ON CRIME PREVENTION AND
The death penalty has become a prominent issue in a wide range of American political campaigns.
Supreme Court hasn't examined fairness in death penalty cases and reduced obstacles to its use; abolitionists need legislative and political strategies.
Data shows decisions to charge and sentence defendants to death are not based on legally relevant factors; explores relevancy of factors in Texas cases.
Article discusses the Ted Bundy case and debunks myths about Ted Budy receiving super due process and his attorneys caused delays in executing his sentence.
Impact of Teague's limits on habeas corpus jurisdiction and the Teague nonretroactivity doctrine.
Effects of implementing FIDSA and how it can be used to combat racism in death sentencing cases.
A cataloguing of wrongful convictions in NY over a 20 year period, supporting position that NY should not reenact death penalty.
Data analysis of various habeas procedures and doctrines through looking at habeas cases in SDNY in a three year period.
Looking at Hauptmann and Bigelow capital punishment cases to explore how our system is still fallible and how innocents can be sentenced to death.
High number of those given death penalty not many executed, reflecting state uncertainty around death penalty; looking at data to support this conclusion.
Other Issues in this Volume
- Losing the Negative Right of Privacy: Building Sexual and Reproductive Freedom
- The Bill of Rights--Can It Survive?
- Limiting the Right to a Bias-Free Workplace: A Survey of the Employment Discrimination Decisions of the 1988-89 Term
- Reclaiming a Public Resource: The Constitutionality of Requiring Broadcasters to Provide Free Television Advertising Time to Candidates for Federal Office
- Mending the Safety Net's Safety Net: The Federal Courts Study Committee's Proposals for Reforming the Social Security Disability Benefits Review Process
- Tax Glasnost for Millionaires: Peeking behind the Veil of Ignorance along the Publicity-Privacy Continuum
- Classical Nostalgia: Racism, Contract Ideology, and Formalist Legal Reasoning in Patterson v. McLean Credit Union
- A Family Like any Other Family: Alternative Methods of Defining Family in Law