The death penalty doesn't have long-term effects reducing homicide, it has large fiscal and moral costs; focus on it prevents us exploring other solutions.
Supreme Court hasn't examined fairness in death penalty cases and reduced obstacles to its use; abolitionists need legislative and political strategies.
Data shows decisions to charge and sentence defendants to death are not based on legally relevant factors; explores relevancy of factors in Texas cases.
Article discusses the Ted Bundy case and debunks myths about Ted Budy receiving super due process and his attorneys caused delays in executing his sentence.
Impact of Teague's limits on habeas corpus jurisdiction and the Teague nonretroactivity doctrine.
Effects of implementing FIDSA and how it can be used to combat racism in death sentencing cases.
A cataloguing of wrongful convictions in NY over a 20 year period, supporting position that NY should not reenact death penalty.
Data analysis of various habeas procedures and doctrines through looking at habeas cases in SDNY in a three year period.
Looking at Hauptmann and Bigelow capital punishment cases to explore how our system is still fallible and how innocents can be sentenced to death.
High number of those given death penalty not many executed, reflecting state uncertainty around death penalty; looking at data to support this conclusion.
Other Issues in this Volume
- Racism and Retrenchment in Capital Sentencing: Judicial and Congressional Haste toward the Ultimate Injustice
- Confronting a New Obstacle to Reproductive Choice: Encouraging the Development of RU-486 through Reform of Products Liability Law
- Throwing the Book at Revelations: First Amendment Implications of Enforcing Reporters' Promises
- Affirmative Action: Unresolved Questions Amidst a Changing Judiciary
- Prosecutors' Closing Arguments at the Penalty Trial
- Suspending Justice: The Unconstitutionality of the Proposed Six-Month Time Limit on the Filing of Habeas Corpus Petitions by State Death Row Inmates
- Chiropractor as Brain Surgeon: Defense Lawyering in Capital Cases, The
- Challenging the Death Penalty: Foreword
- Mending the Safety Net's Safety Net: The Federal Courts Study Committee's Proposals for Reforming the Social Security Disability Benefits Review Process
- Classical Nostalgia: Racism, Contract Ideology, and Formalist Legal Reasoning in Patterson v. McLean Credit Union
- Family Like any Other Family: Alternative Methods of Defining Family in Law, A
- Woman behind the Blindfold: Toward a Feminist Reconstruction of Rawls' Theory of Justice, The