Unbundled legal services may help answer the unmet legal needs of poor New Yorkers; law school clinics can be used to test the efficacy of such representation
To ensure equal justice for all, the right to counsel should extend to matters in the civil context
Federal housing law, the collateral consequences of eviction following drug activity, and the procedures tenants must pursue to remain
Active facilitation for applications and increased access to Safety Net Assistance and Medicaid can reduce recidivism and long-term costs
The collateral consequences of a criminal conviction are more punitive than the sentence, and lawyering strategies and legal education can combat this problem.
Comprehensive litigation on the state level is necessary to dismantle the crippling barriers on criminals' reentry into society.
The consequences of a guilty plea or conviction in New York for immigrants are unforgiving and severe
Although holistic advocacy may greatly enhance a public defender’s practice, it has practical, professional, and ethical limitations as an institutional model
The collateral consequences of a New York conviction: econmic obligations, impact on federal sentences, restrictions on those convicted of sex-related crimes
Zealous advocacy is not enough to combat the effects after a criminal sentence is served, and a holistic approach is necessary
This is introductory material introduces the role of the prosecutor in combatting the harsh effects of the collateral consequences of a criminal sentence.
This document is the agenda for the Partners in Justice event.
Other Issues in this Volume
- Single-Sex Schools and the Antisegregation Principle
- Implementing Planned Development: The Case of New Jersey
- While Dangers Gather: The Bush Preemption Doctrine, Battered Women, Imminence, and Anticipatory Self-Defense
- Bill for Rights: State and Local Financing of Public Education and Indigent Defense, The
- Probative Weight: Rethinking Evidentiary Standards in Title VII Sex Discrimination Cases
- Reality of False Confessions - Lessons of the Central Park Jogger Case, The
- Neglectful Parens Patriae: Using Child Protective Laws to Defend the Safety Net, The
- Immigrant Workers and Workers' Compensation after Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Inc. v. N.L.R.B.
- Advocating for the Human Right to Housing: Notes from the United States
- Testing Human Rights: The Impact of High-Stakes Tests on English Language Learners' Right to Education in New York City
- Spirit of Our Times: State Constitutions and International Human Rights, The
- More than an Incidental Effect on Foreign Affairs: Implementation of Human Rights by State and Local Governments